Monday, April 19, 2010

Food Inc.


As someone who's always been interested in healthy food and cooking techniques, I was greatly affected by the recent documentary called Food Inc. The film inspired me to investigate and do my own research about the food we buy and the industry it comes from. Those of you who haven't seen it might dismiss it as just another liberal political documentary about how we should all be vegetarian (which isn't a bad thing, in my book), but you would be completely wrong. Food Inc. simply encourages people to look at food from a different perspective, beyond the supermarket. Long story short, after lots of watching, reading, and thinking, it has become a priority of mine to buy as much produce as I can from farmers, to eat only grass-fed beef and free-range chicken, and to avoid processed foods. I've learned to not only think about what type of food I want in my system, but also what types of food practices I want to support with my dollar.
If you're interested in investigating some of these concepts on your own, I would suggest looking up some of Michael Pollan's work, especially his essay entitled, "An Animal's Place".

No comments:

Post a Comment