Monday, April 26, 2010

Shrimp Burritos



Large Flour Tortillas
1 box Near East Spanish Rice
Cooked, Tail-Off Shrimp (I use Kirkland brand)
Chili Powder and Garlic Salt
1 can Organic Black Beans
Chopped Romaine Lettuce
Diced Tomato
Chopped Purple Onion
1 Sliced Avocado
Low-Fat Sour Cream
Hot Sauce or Taco Sauce of your choice







This meal is perfect for a buffet-style dinner with friends or family because you can lay out all the ingredients and everyone can create their own burrito! First, I get the rice started because it takes about 20 minutes to simmer. Just follow the directions on the back of the Near East box. I always use this brand of flavored rice because it is 100% natural and, therefore, contains no MSG. While it simmers, I start preparing the other ingredients. The shrimp I use is pre-cooked and frozen, so I first thaw it slightly by running warm water over it for less than a minute (if you do it too long, the shrimp will start to absorb the water). I then sautee it on medium-low in a little olive oil, flavoring it generously with Chili Powder and Garlic Salt to taste. Since it's already cooked, this preparation is only to heat and season the shrimp. When that's done, I chop up all my veggies and heat up the beans! I don't eat much cheese, but you can grate up some Cheddar or Monterey-Jack if you like. To top everything off, I also add some low-fat sour cream and a few sprinkles of Valentina Mexican Hot Sauce. There's plenty of room to improvise with this dish, add or take away whichever ingredients you prefer!

No comments:

Post a Comment